Spring is a time of beauty, new life, and storms. Here in Myrtle Beach, we are lucky to have some of the most beautiful scenery and weather in the United States. However, hurricane season happens here too. Here are some of our best tips to keep you, your family, and your home safe and secure during hurricane season this year.
First things first:
If you know your home is at risk, it’s best to have a safety net in place.
- Know your zone. If you live on the Atlantic coast, you may need to evacuate at some point. Make sure that you know what zone you live in and that you can receive communications about possible evacuations.
- Make a plan. Once you know what zone your home is in, then you can make an evacuation plan, including finding a safe spot or relative’s home to gather in. Talk with family or friends, and join them in making their own plans.
- If you know you live in an area vulnerable to hurricanes, make sure that your home is protected with hurricane insurance (National Weather Service, 2023).
Steps to being prepared:
Be ready in your own home (when evacuation isn’t necessary or isn’t an option):
- Put together an emergency kit. Items that provide light, such as candles, flashlights, and a generator, can be extremely helpful in the event of a power outage.
- Keep items such as fresh drinking water, nonperishable food items, and a first aid kit in your storm preparedness kit (Reader’s Digest, March 2023).
- It is essential to pack prescriptions and otc medicines that will be needed on a regular basis in case of emergency. Setting aside a week’s supply for emergencies can save time and trouble during an evacuation.
- If you must evacuate, “it’s a good idea to get out cash….and carry copies of important documents like insurance policies, in a waterproof bag” (Reader’s Digest, March 2023).
You may not be able to avoid a natural disaster, but you can be prepared!
One way to avoid damage to your home and property is to have a home that can withstand storms. MJM Custom Home builds quality custom homes in the Myrtle Beach area. Our homes are built with precision, top-quality materials, and a team that is dedicated to quality and care. In addition, we minimize the threat of severe weather and storms by offering our custom hurricane panels. These lightweight shutters protect windows and doors from wind-driven rain.
Hurricanes and other natural disasters move without care for humans and where we live. While that fact can be anxiety-inducing, it doesn’t have to be. Storms can be less of a threat with careful planning, thoughtful preparation, and quality construction.
MJM Custom Home Building specializes in building dream homes in the Myrtle Beach area. Contact us today to take the first step to your dream home.